ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says web development job opportunities will grow 27% by 2024. For the tech industry, startups, and established companies that want to innovate, a skilled developer is vital.
Our web development track focuses on Ruby on Rails. RoR enables developers to get products to market quickly compared to other languages. For companies, this means they can have an edge; for our students, this means that their skills are in-demand and highly employable. Using Rails as a vehicle, the web development coursework encourages logic and problem-solving skills that will enable you to overcome challenges no matter what language you’re working with.
The program begins with the fundamentals of model-view-controller architecture. Lesson delivery includes a series of Rails labs and opportunities to work on real project deliverables both individually and collaboratively. Weekly workshops will give you exposure to topics such as test-driven development, git, AJAX, and API’s. Throughout your eight weeks, you’ll engineer deliverables that prove your abilities as an effective developer and teammate.
Key Skills and Capabilities:
- Setting up a dev environment: brew, Xcode, RVM, git
- MVC basics: intro to model-view-controller architecture
- Building and testing a Rails application
- Source control management and cloud-based deployment
- Employing collaborative approaches to overcome coding challenges
The Core Curriculum brings students together across tracks for career-planning workshops, emotional intelligence (EQ) discussions, and cross-functional projects at local companies.
The Core is the heart of the Startup Institute experience, and it’s designed to cultivate the qualities that will take you from good to great. These qualities include: developing a growth mindset, excellence at cross-disciplinary collaboration, and cultivating a powerful network.
No matter which track you choose, all students receive the same Core Curriculum training.
Workshops and Cross-disciplinary Training:
- Prepare to be a leader with exercises that challenge your weaknesses and strengthening your emotional intelligence (EQ)Take part in personal branding, résumé building, interviewing technique, and salary negotiation workshops
- Take part in personal branding, résumé building, interviewing technique, and salary negotiation workshopsSolve real problems on a cross-disciplinary team on-site, one day a week, at one of our partner companies
- Solve real problems on a cross-disciplinary team on-site, one day a week, at one of our partner companies
- Receive individualized mentoring that will address your career goals, develop action plans, and conquer roadblocks
- Experience the power of our network by attending events designed to build real relationships with industry experts and partners